Hello once again :) It has officially been 1 month since I arrived...1 down 8, to go. There are many things I miss about MN right now, including the changing colors of the leaves on the drive down to Winona and strangely enough, carpet! I finally bought some red, fuzzy slippers but they are already black on the bottom. Also, I'm curious to see how Italians do Halloween because this is a first here. I did see at the 'One Euro' store (just like the dollar store!) there were decorations for sale. This past weekend, my roommates and I weren't going out so we all dressed as an animal for the night. There was a bunny, a butterfly, a cat, and somehow I went from a turtle to a teenage mutant ninja turtle (funny photos to come) with a hanger as my weapon of choice.
There have been some new student additions, one spanish girl and 2 more danish students. I have been speaking mostly all in english lately which has been very easy but horrible for the learning italian part. This wednesday, I'll start taking language lessons at Centro Stranieri, Center for Foreigners with the same teacher I had at the school where I work. I've also started a convo exchange with a Roman woman on skype and met a guy in Firenze to practice. However, he was very negative and didn't have any patience with my italian so that was a first and last attempt at meeting in person.
We had an international dinner with all the students. There was salmon soup from Finland, a potato and bacon dish from Demark, spanish tortillas and crochettas, italian pasta, and banana bread courtesy of the only American. It was a true feast and very fun to have all the countries represented that night. Otherwise, I have been working on finding research on peer mentoring for my director, starting an information booklet for students, and giving another tour of Lucca, Firenze, and the library in Pistoia with the spanish girl.
Things are going well overall, I have days when all I really want is to be home and others where I truly feel blessed to be here...I recently had the best italian dinner ever at the house of my director's friend in the mountains surrounding Pistoia (just like the movies) and picking fresh vegis and fruits with my landlady Romana in her garden. I will add pics soon but hope this paints a better photo of the life here...
Much love, xoxo
Julie
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Julie-
So good to hear from you! You sound pretty good, i can relate to missing Mn., when we were in California. The leaves were beautiful this year, but the bugs have been horrible, at least the kids don't mind until they are all itchy. We got our flu shots yesterday, this is very traumatic for Miss Belle, it's a good thing i am strong as i had to hold her arms down so she wouldn't deck the nurse. You would have been proud of Little Gregg, hopped right up on the table, i don't think he knew what he was getting himself into, Brady was also pretty brave but he did admit it hurt. I can't wait to see your "turtle" picture.
You'll have to hang up a few decorations for Halloween, we can hardly wait to go trick or treating. I'll eat a piece of candy for you! Men! I hope you are well,& the next 8 months fly by. We think of you every day, enjoy your adventure & be safe.
Love you-
Tracy & Brady
p.s. Brady said to give yourself a hug from him.
Hi
It is so great hearing from you about your adventure.
Your landlady sound like a wonderful asset to you while you are in Italy. She may make a gardener out of you or least influence you in the future. I have dried and frozen fresh herbs to share with your mom when you get back so you will have them. The basil this year was amazing I truly miss being able to run outside and grab some leaves now that there has been a killing frost.
Erica's checkup and tests at Mayo went well yesterday. I watched Jermiah so she didn't have to have a daycare bill. Kevin took the day off and went with Erica. Jermiah, Eric and I went to lunch in Dorchester Iowa you remember combine man from Jennifer's wedding and you went to Dorchester.
You now realize you will be expected to prepare us an amazing dinner when you are home.
Hopefully you will skype your mom when Nannie and I are there Nov 6, 7 and 8th it would be fun to hear and see you on the computer screen.
Enjoy your travels and discoveries.
Love you bunches,
Barb & Eric
Hi Julie-
We got your postcard yesterday, thanx for writing, Nannie also got hers. I'm glad you are busy, helps the time pass. We will be ready for a big clebration when you come home. I will make the beer dip for the pretzels!!!
Boys both have colds but i'm sure it won't slow them down for trick or treating tomorrow night. Belle has a b-day/halloween party after school today so i'm sure she will be just flying when she gets home tonight. Not much else going on, Greg is very busy with work, which is a good thing, me, i just try to keep the kiddies entertained! Have a good week, give yourself a hug from us.
Be safe,
Love, Tracy
Post a Comment